Monday, February 1, 2010

Kong to be king once more

I love Universal Studios more than I love Disney World. Always have, even when I was a kid. The movie lover in me, I guess. When Florida's park added Marvel's Islands of Adventure, really it wasn't even a contest anymore. Yes, I know I was a full-fledged adult when that happened but if you think seeing Spider-man walking in full costume down a street...ANY STREET...gets old, you can go to hell. When the fires destroyed the King Kong ride at Universal, which was easily the slowest ride to ever thrill me, the studio moved quickly to get Peter Jackson to design a replacement. Well buckle up, kids and bigger kids: The Los Angeles Times has the specs of the new design.

"If the new technology works as designed, park visitors will not only see Kong in three dimensions but also smell his banana breath, feel the gust of wind as he jumps over the guests and sense the ground quake when the ape engages a Tyrannosaurus rex in a life-or-death battle. … In another scene, a 35-foot-tall T. rex stepped over the trams, turned to the audience and bared its massive teeth. … Inside the building, the tram will stop over a 'tram-mover' system, powered by massive air bags that will lift, shake and drop the tram, giving guests the feeling of being jolted during the battle between Kong and the T. rex. … The 180-foot-long screens will curve around the tram so that the 3-D images seem to surround the passengers. A system of fans, sprayers and other devices installed in the building will spew air, water and odors at park visitors to bring the images to life."

Sorry, time to drop the "30 Rock" quote again:



Are you kidding me?! Smelling King Kong's breath? Dino-fighting?! Give me! GIVE ME NOW! I am sensing a trip coming in the next few years...you know, for research and movie writing reasons.

Labels: , , ,

Custom Search

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home