Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A little more Lost, a lot more coming

I haven't entirely given up the "Lost" ghost yet. It may seem that way because it feels like years since I was blogging incessantly about every aspect of the show, posting images of Evangeline Lilly everywhere, and throwing theories into the wild. I've talked with Abbie about what to do this year in it's absence, with her suggesting I try pilots of shows and post reviews/discussions here and see which ones take off. I may just do that, even though I know that "Lost" is a once-in-a-lifetime show not likely to have any true successor. I miss it. Already, even though this has for years been the dead time when we had no show, I know in my heart that it's gone and I miss it.

The good news is that the DVD comes out soon, meaning we get a few more "answers" but most importantly get a glimpse of Hurley and Ben ruling the island. That little dessert, that delightful little nightcap should be quite tasty. Then, shortly after that, I'll likely begin rewatching the show. It's going to take awhile, what with it being more than 100 hours even without commercials, but I'll do what I can. I promise to share thoughts about that rewatching, how it changes knowing the ending, and what is different knowing that we don't have to obsess about every tiny nuance. We'll see.

Until then, here's something interesting. The decision to not include the Man in Black's name came to represent for many, including me, the arrogance that surrounded the way the audience was treated in regard to their desire to find out certain answers. Why create a new, never-to-be-answered mystery that close to the show's end, when everyone is clamoring for answers, and then give an interview where you all but call us assholes for wanting to know? It was a bitter pill, and one that apparently came very late in the game, after the scenes were shot. How do I know that? Well, the script mentioned him by name, and the same name was released in casting notices. Those things may not be "canon," but we came to know the intended name. Now we know how far that name was carried out, as they're auctioning off everything from the set, including the "chair backs" that list the actor's name and character.
There it is. Proof that ON SET, the Man in Black was "Samuel." I have no idea at what point Damon Lindelof got a douche feather up his ass and decided to take that info from us, but I think it's safe to say we have it back. The character didn't go through all of reality without a name. He had one, we just never got to hear it because somebody thought they were being clever. It's as confirmed as it will ever be.

Like I said, I'll be back in a few weeks with some "Lost" goodness, hope to see you recovering Losties there.

Follow me on Twitter!

Labels: , , ,

Custom Search

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home