Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Quick clips for Tuesday September 16

Impressive things Ben Affleck is doing besides Jennifer Garner

People who know me at all know that I looooooved Gone Baby Gone, the best film of last year. People who really know me know that I have had a man crush on Ben Affleck for the better part of the last decade and a half (Lord, I'm old). There's just something about the guy that makes me root for him and, hey, if I couldn't pull down Jennifer Garner, there's no one else I'd want to have her. That's why I'm excited to see him realizing that his talents as an actor are...we'll go with "limited," but his talents as a director have crazy potential. So I'm both anxious and nervous to see The Hollywood Reporter announcing he'll be starring in (boo) and directing (YAY) The Town, a dark, romantic, heist flick based on the novel "Prince of Theives" about a love triangle between a bank manager, a thief, and an FBI agent. Provided he keeps his style more noir than hip (meaning more like Gone Baby Gone or Payback than Out of Sight), I think this could be a good fit...provided they don't cast high-profile hotties in the lead roles. I don't want to see Cameron Diaz or Drew Barrymore as the bank manager, Affleck as the thief (you know that's going to be his role), and Orlando Bloom as the FBI agent. The way the Internet works these days, Cameron Diaz, Drew Barrymore, and Orlando Bloom have now been rumored to be in The Town just because I used them as examples. You just watch.

Woo hoo, what did I tell you! I win! I win...nothing.

I guess this is just me saying "I told you so," even though I'm not sure who "you" are and I'm not really good enough to be bragging about anything involving box office prediction. That said, WHOOO DOGGIES did I call it or what?! The House Bunny must have a Karl Rovian-style spin campaign because that film was not, I repeat, NOT the 5th place movie as they claimed. Once the last dollar, rupel, bead, and shekel was counted, Tropic Thunder took the 5th place position as it rightfully deserved. I know, right now you're thinking, "Ryan, this is incredibly fascinating and I can't imagine how this day could have started any better, thank you so much for this information...is there any more?" Why yes, thanks for asking, there is. This change made my weekly prediction crazy accurate as I correctly predicted the rank and dollar amount ($4 million). That changes my overall accuracy for the week from a measly 64% to a whopping 84%! And that's even with people suddenly deciding to like good things more than crap and opting to see Burn Before Reading! Okay, I should point out that this new found optimism won't last long, as this weekend sees four incredibly mediocre films opening and deciding the cream of the crap will be difficult. Still, I'm encouraged by this recent turn of events as I believe I am no longer the worst box office prognosticator not currently working for Wireless magazine.

Slow news day blues cured by Netflix's "Piss yourself" contest

Okay, so technically Netflix is not offering 10 grand for the person who can most frequently urinate on themselves, but I'm not sure that doing so wouldn't help in winning the contest they are sponsoring. The latest marketing ploy is the Netflix Movie Watching World Championship, which takes place in New York City from October 2-7. The contest involves watching consecutive movies (with only 10 minutes between films to eat, drink, and...if you aren't okay with a little pant pee...urinate), and the previous record holder was Ashish Sharma of India who watched 120 hours and 23 minutes of movies. The real question isn't "why the hell would anyone do this?" or "it's not like you can watch someone do this so where's the excitement?" or "can we get back to the pant wetting?" No, the real question is "what movies are they going to watch?" There's 56 of them, which is insane (especially when I realize this is still less than I watch in a year...crap), but I think the bigger torture than watching 56 consecutive films is watching 10 of the worst films in a row. Seriously, after you watch a second screening of Sam Jackson's The Man, if you don't tap out, you're inhuman. If you want to possibly be one of these competitors, search "Netflix Movie Watching World Championship" on Facebook.com and then really think about your life goals. If you still want to do this, talk to your parents and family members and try to endure their shame. If you still want to do this, consider the experience of soiling yourself in public. If you still want to do this, you're my kind of sick bastard.
Custom Search

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home