Monday, November 24, 2008

Quick clips for Monday November 24

Movie that made money gets sequel

This is the first in a series of shocking headlines such as "Popular film gets good release date" and "Famous actor gets large contract." In the slow news week that is Thanksgiving week, news of even the most obvious kind is welcomed. Actually, this is a good time to mention I'll be eating on Thursday morning (no blog for you) and I'll be recovering from eating on Friday morning (no blog for you), putting the long-awaited, epic, beloved, eagerly anticipated event of the year (ie, the 100th post of Cutting Room Floor: The Blog) back a few days. Deal with it. Anyway, the news of the day that I've been dancing around is that Matt Damon (he who was once thought pansie who is now thought tough guy) is returning to the role that depansified him. At the very least, we're getting Bourne 4: Epilepsy Strikes Back but we could be getting even more than that, provided Damon doesn't break a hip. Now, I've heard people talk about how awesome the Bourne series is (and they're right) but I've also heard them mention the great story, which is crap. The movies do have giant flaw in that they have terribly, terribly weak plots and somewhat disorienting overarching themes. Honest, I have no recollection whatsoever where we left the story (whatever there was of it) and where it could go from here. Really, what they do well is "in the moment" stuff, creating crazy good tension, executing awesome performances, and giving a great tone to their movies...not so much with the cohesive narratives. So when I hear people audibly worrying about whether or not this return to the franchise is warranted in terms of story, I have to laugh harder than that time grammy meant to say Virginia and said vagina. More Bourne = more ass kickery. I'm on board...or should I say, "I'm on Bourne." I shouldn't? Okay, point taken.

Give thanks, then fight

After having operated without a contract since July, the SAG (screen actors guild) has just approved a motion to vote for a work stoppage. Basically, the Academy of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP or just asshats for short) have reportedly had trouble keeping their word to the Writer's Guild (WGA), whom you'll remember from the strike of last year. Now, this move to authorize a strike doesn't mean that there will actually be a strike, but it certainly doesn't make one less likely. Talk about a no-win situation for either side, as part of the strike negotiations DO involve public opinion (which is why you see picket lines and protests on TV). Will EITHER side get any sway from the public in this economic climate (today's forecast calls for a shit storm of unemployment). Somehow, I doubt we're going to feel bad for these millionaires or those millionaires. Also, it's a heck of a lot easier to gain sympathy for writers, who toil in obscurity and look like you and me. When we watch beautiful people who we've paid good money to see time and time again (and watched on MTV's "Cribs" sleeping in a gold hyperbolic chamber in a house made out of diamonds, baby seals, and children's tears), we just don't have the same degree of sympathy. That said, the AMPTP is a bunch of douche hammers who are actively trying to screw the actors (in a way far more figurative than usual). Moral of the story: Get in a room and work this out pronto before you prove how un-recession proof your industry really is.

Weekend box office results: Like Paula Abdul's animated cat, I'm taking two steps back.

Well, not a horrible weekend really (for me, I could give a squat about the economics of Hollywood). I mean, it can't be as good as last week when I basked in the glow of the first A grade I had received in a long, long time (surprisingly, my wife doesn't give out letter grades at home, although I did get a "meets expectations"). Twilight did just about what we thought, killed everybody on Friday and then slowly faded back ($35 million on Friday night, and then $35 million between Saturday and Sunday combined). Plus, die-hard fans are coming out of the movie holding their nose (and not just because a third of the audience didn't shower), which means it ain't gonna have a really long shelf life. Oh, it'll clear $100 million with ease, probably getting close to $150 million, but that's not exactly a cultural phenomenon as was promised to me by Entertainment Weekly covers and constant "Today" show coverage. If I sound bitter, it's just because I only like GOOD things.

Here are the results:

1.) Twilight - $70.5 million (Accuracy of prediction - 96%)

I knew that something was awry when the crazed fans I know (yes, I know some of them, no they don't like me much right now) didn't come out of the screenings yelling about how awesome it was. They all seem to like the smelly kid who plays the lead vampire, but I'm told all he wants to do is make music (seriously, you can't make this stuff up). I think it looks like Kristen Stewart wants to die in every promo and interview I see, so enjoy having 3 more movies to go Kristen!

2.) Quantum of Solace - $27.5 million (Accuracy of prediction - 81%)

A big drop off was expected, but this was even a little more precipitous than I thought. There should be a nice Bond bump this weekend during Thanksgiving, as the male family members want to go see 007 kill and hump and the lady family members would kill to hump 007.

3.) Bolt - $27 million (Accuracy of prediction - 66%)

Ouch. Bad doggie. Looks like Disney DIDN'T overpay for Pixar when they struck that deal, as the work they did on their own is pretty much dying out of the gate. Now, it should have good legs with the holidays coming up but still...owie. Oh, totally non-related but Abbie and I watched Peter Pan for the first time since childhood last night...I had no idea that half of it was totally racist against Native Americans. I mean, crazy racist against Native Americans. If you think the Washington Redskins is offensive, checkout a movie where we analyze "why the red man's skin red." Ooooh.

4.) Madagascar 2: Mada-getgoing already - $16 million (Accuracy of prediction - 97%)

This will easily clear $150 million and has a shot at $200 million. I have no idea why.

5.) Role Models - $7 million (Accuracy of prediction - 96%)

You know what, I think Paul Rudd and Stiffler just gave me my second straight acceptable finish. I knew I loved them for a reason. Plus, I still really want to see this one. I also want to get a good night's sleep, but it's not going to happen.

Overall accuracy of prediction - 87%

It ain't last week's A, but a solid B+ is always welcomed.
Custom Search

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home