Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Quick clips for Tuesday November 11

Horror? I hardly knew her!

Two nonsequitors: (1) Although horror may be one of my least favorite genres (after the infrequently used Syphilis-Musical genre), I am (for no good reason) hooked on VH1's "Scream Queens." Basically, it combines the crazy beyatches you remember from high-school drama productions with 1-2 normal people for the crazy people to interact with (if only to say things like "that bitch is crazy") and a few half-witted model wannabes and then gives them assignments like "pretend you're being stung by 10000 bees." It is just so incredibly watchable I can't stand it. Seriously, last night I was treated to the phrase "I just don't know why she keeps flicking her tongue around while she's screaming." You have to be watching this. (2) Director Danny Boyle is the shiz-nitty. I mean, dude is getting rave reviews for Slumdog Millionaire (a mainstream drama), killed it with Sunshine (a sci-fi movie), nailed it with A Life Less Ordinary (romantic comedy), hit it perfectly with Shallow Grave (thriller), made me happy with Millions (family film), ruled everything with 28 Days Later (horror), and that doesn't even account for Trainspotting. It's that second-to-last one that causes this post: Boyle has told Scifiwire.com that he is considering doing something he hasn't done before, directing a sequel. 28 Months Later is happening despite the mediocrity of 28 Weeks Later, which started getting decent right before it abruptly ended. This one would (obviously) go global (or at least bigger) and Boyle claims that they have an original idea for it (one that hopefully goes beyond the typical zombie apocalypse...not that I don't enjoy a good zombie apocalypse). He brought the world fast-moving zombies and has done no wrong in crossing genre after genre, so if Boyle is there, you'll see me right there too. Hopefully, watching the winner of "Scream Queens" with the juicy role of "crazy zombie bitch."

Yar! More noir!!

I'll take Chud.com's word for it that the noir novel "The Killer Inside Me" is good. I don't really care one way or the other because I'm a total noir whore and will watch Josh Hartnett act in a movie (Black Dhalia) if there's a hint of the flavor (the flavor of noir, not the flavor of Hartnett, which tastes like turpentine and shame). So, good news then that Casey Affleck (who rocked my Amadeus in Gone Baby Gone) is starring as a Texas sheriff who is secretly a sociopathic murderer. Jessica Alba is also a prostitute...in the movie, she's a prostitute in the movie. Geez guys. Now, that news is usually enough to sink my spirits (on account of Alba being the least talented woman who ever...actually, she just may be the least talented woman ever), but Gone Baby Gone was such a transcendent experience for me, I can't wait to see Affleck back in that genre. I'm not sure if a director has been attached yet, but honestly I'd be excited if brother Ben was behind the lens again. The two worked so well together last time out and there's nothing wrong with finding a niche. I mean, not everybody is Danny Boyle, some folks are Guillermo Del Toro, which is just fine too. No matter what, this excites me, and I only hope that Alba's character undergoes a last minute re-write to being mute.

Your daily dose of "noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

According to the ever-reliable LA times blog, Beyonce wants to play Wonder Woman. Um, no? This has nothing to do with skin color (after all, Diana is technically made from clay, so she can be any shade) and has more to do with the fact that Beyonce sucks. I'm told that many people like her music, which is great because I encourage her to stay there doing just that and not to get on screen and make a $100 million oopsie daisy, which is what this would be. Now, it may be idle speculation but Beyonce is reportedly lobbying for the role (of a movie with no script and no plans to actually be made), going so far as to meet with WB executives (who likely just wanted an autograph for their kids or a cool photo op that makes them look far hipper than they are). Beyonce's only major acting came in Dreamgirls, in which the girl from "American Idol" outacted her. I'm not saying that Wonder Woman is some kind of emotional touch-stone for me, I don't particularly care for the character or anything, I'm just against things that are bad. This would be bad, as in worse than Beyonce's new single, which is really, really bad. Besides, if I am interested in ANYTHING about Wonder Woman it's the Greek mythology angle, which I'm guessing would be downplayed in favor of a funky soundtrack and some one liners. Now, if Jay-Z wants to play The Flash or something, I'm down because that guy's actually talented.
Custom Search

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home