Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Quick clips for Wednesday March 25

Fear my awful powers

Yes, the whole Let the Right One In subtitle debacle was covered at Slashfilm.com, Chud.com, and probably lots of other places. But, let's face it, there's no doubt that it was my savage destruction of their stupid practice with my verbal jujitsu that resulted in the announcement that Magnet Releasing has promised that "We are listening to the fans feedback, and going forward we will be manufacturing the discs with the subtitles from the theatrical version." "Fans"...come on, that's total code for "ow, ow, Ryan Syrek totally worked us over with his brilliant and acerbic wit, we surrender!" You'll be able to tell on the packaging the new versions because they will say “SUBTITLES: ENGLISH (Theatrical), SPANISH" in the tech specs on the back. Now, one point of contention is that they're not offering refunds on the dumbtitled version. On the one hand, I get not giving away money, this is not a big company we're talking about here. On the other hand...come on, at least offer an exchange. Seriously, you can't even use the previous version as a coaster, because it will make your beverage retarded. I know it's hard in this economy to take a dive on this one, but the fact is, I bet less than a third of the people who bought it so far will take the initiative to actually return it. Plus, you're the ones who went with an "alternate translation" that was apparently performed by a former contestant on a Vh1 dating show. Make it right, or I will let fly more clever witticisms. Nobody wants that.

Cartoon pilot gets more work

Look, I know you want me to like "Mad Men." I don't. I get that it's supposed to be good and interesting, but like "The Shield" and "The Wire," it just don't flip my switch. I can see the quality, but me no likey. I have to see and review so many movies that fall into this category that I refuse to watch television like it. I watch TV I like. That's it. This is just a roundabout way of saying that I learned to like John Hamm during his stint on "SNL" (which was okay) and mostly on "30 Rock," where it became painfully obvious to me that he needs to be a superhero of some kind. I know that Hollywood lives in a world where they must cast a 20-something in every spandex role (aside from, you know, Robert Downey Jr, who happened to give the best performance as a superhero maybe ever), but come the eff on, this guy has a chin made by God to stick out from a costume. Just look at it. It is spellbinding. Anyway, Variety is reporting that Hamm is joining the cast of Howl, about Ginsberg's seminal work. Cool. I like that he's doing a movie that seems to be of high quality. That it's set in the same general era as his TV show, not so bright. If I were his agent, I'd be lobbying my ASS off to consider him for either Captain America or Green Lantern. It's a big paycheck movie that you're supposed to do BEFORE you go making your esoteric art films about people persecuted for their sexuality. It's the evolution Hollywood has demanded for years.

Lost predictions for "He's Our You"

Yeah, after reflection, last week had like 3 good moments and only 3 good moments: (1) Little Ben meets Sayid (wow does that sound like a covert way of describing Sayid exploring his sexuality); (2) Sun and Frank talk to Christian (by the way, all the talk of seeing Claire in the background in the HD version is being spoken by people seeing what they want to see...these people also believe 99% of conspiracy theories and have rewatched Three Men and a Baby about 20 times to see the ghost in the background); and (3) Sawyer and Jack pee at one another (Sawyer totally painted the snow better this time out...and Jack didn't seem to mind). Methinks we're sitting in 2 more episodes of lull, as the airing on April 8 ("Dead is Dead") has a press release that states something to the effect of Ben summons the smoke monster to ask for his judgment, meaning I think we get the answer to smokey's mystery. That rules.

Anyway, on to predictions for tonight's hopefully surprising but probably just more moving pieces around episode.

1.) Sayid will escape. Now, Doc Jensen is really loving his own theory that Sayid was, in the time we didn't see him on screen, captured by the Others and convinced to be a double agent for them. I just don't buy it. They couldn't possibly have had time to convince him to do their bidding AND give him the necessary information to do so. Plus, to what end? Why would they NEED him to at this point in the history? Personally, I think that Sayid is going to figure that if he kills little Ben, everything gets better. He's normally a pretty smart fellow, but the evolution of his character has moved him from suave and thinking to savage and bloodthirsty. I think he's going to try to kill Ben and I think someone is going to stop him. Someone being Sawyer.

2.) "He's our you" seems to be referring to someone from the Dharma Initiative who is going to be revealed to be some kind of likeness for a castaway. In the interest of being right, I'm going to guess that Sawyer will say this to Sayid about someone coming to torture him for information.

3.) Sun and Frank and Ben will all begin their march to figure out how to go back in time. I think, because of the preview mentioning Smokey in a coming episode, that their journey to the Temple is about to begin. What I'm curious about is what will happen when Ben meets 2008 Richard Alpert again. Plus, where's John Locke and what's he doing? I'm thinking this week may bring us John vs Ben round whatever. I think Locke wins this one.

4.) We're going to get A LOT of Jack/Kate/Sawyer/Juliet (or, as the power of nicknames demands us to call them: Jakawlet). I don't know if this is going to be compelling or not. It will be if we see the depths of Sawyer and Juliet's bond. As in, if Sawyer is able to show Kate early that he cares deeply for Juliet by rebuffing Kate or something, then it's interesting. I also wonder how Jack's going to take all of it. You know, I think he's a changed man (for realzys), but it's hard to fight your past urges. Chances are, he's going to want to be "the guy" again. It'll be interesting to see him struggle with that. Or not, but I hope it is.

5.) We won't see Smokey.

6.) Here's my big prediction: I think we see the purge start tonight. By that, I don't mean that we see the actual carnage, but we see how THE CASTAWAYS are somehow responsible for it. I'm not sure how, but I think this is going to happen and happen soon. We've had the ticking bomb of the Purge over our heads for awhile now, it's time for that clock to hit zero.

Well gang, that's it. Again, I'm calling for a tepid one this week, but I hope I'm wrong. They tend to build steam as the season progresses after a little lull. I think when we hit "Dead is Dead," we're in the clear, and the rest will rule. Until tomorrow.
Custom Search

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home