Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Can we call fans of Atlas Shrugged "Shrug Huggers?"

One of the things I like to do when nobody's watching is Google myself. You should try it. The first thing I found when I did this awhile back is that there is a dogged watchgroup with eyes trained on all things Ayn Rand, and they reposted something I wrote about the stalled-out film version (then starring Angelina Jolie). I thought that was cool and vowed I would cover any advances in the development of that film. That was three years ago. But I am nothing if not vigilant (that means lazy, right?), and today The Hollywood Reporter rewarded my vigilantism by letting me know that Charlize "One-step-better-than-Cameron-Diaz" Theron is meeting with producers and wants to star as Dagny Taggart. Theron is supposedly concerned about "losing the many nuances of the novel," despite having failed to prove in the past that she is familiar with what a "nuance" is (maybe she's thinking of nougat, you know, like in candy bars). So the idea is to turn it into a miniseries on a new pay-cable network that Lionsgate is forming with MGM and Paramount. In order to cover all of the material, the miniseries will last approximately 87 years. Also, Shrug Huggers should beware: This ruse IS designed to get the book's fans to subscribe to the pay site, Epix, which is not spelled right. Time is of the essence, as the deal mandates that filming must start before 2010, or rights issues get tricky (like rocking around the clock). So, Shrug Huggers, the official update is that a star who isn't Angelina Jolie is having meetings to maybe play the lead in what may be a miniseries that may shoot sometime in the next few months on a channel that doesn't exist yet. Sadly, this is somehow forward movement for this project. Until the next update: I remain vigilantic.

Labels: , , , , ,

Custom Search

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home