Monday, July 20, 2009

In my personal Twilight Zone, it's William Shatner on the plane wing

How it has taken this long, I'll never know, but the sleepless news robots at Variety have informed me (and now, as of this post, the whole world) that WB and Leonardo DiCaprio's Appian Way production company (remind me that some day soon I want to do a blurb on all the stupid-ass production company names out there...perhaps with the stupid-ass logos should I feel so inclined and ambitious) are making a new Twilight Zone movie, and have signed writer Rand Ravich, whose name sounds like a made-up villain in a 1980s Sylvester Stallone movie. The terse release from Variety describes the "Twilight Zone" TV series as having "melded fantasy, science-fiction, and horror elements," but we all know it was so much more than that. It gave credibility to the trio of genres, taking them directly into the mainstream and producing many insanely good half-hours of TV ever made (who cares if several of them sent me into such a terrified state that I now tinkle at the sight of almost every wide-eyed dollie). That said, the idea of having the guy who directed The Astronaut's Wife write the script isn't instilling a huge deal of confidence in me. If they were smart, they wouldn't rely on one guy writing the whole thing and they wouldn't remake classic episodes from the series, mash them up into one barely digestible lump, and call it a movie. They would make either (A) an anthology series, giving themselves a brand name to hang on various genre projects (for example, Twilight Zone: Don't Go In The Closet With That Dollie) or (B) have different (and preferably talented) filmmakers contribute short segments (you know damn well Del Toro is in, but you may get a Michael Gondry or a Martin Scorsese...just imagine the directors you could get to play with a short film like that, maybe people who aren't familiar with the genres, like an Alexander Payne, who has already done some vignette work on film...I'm just rambling now, but I so rarely have good ideas that I want to enjoy this one). What I like is that this doesn't feel dirty (so long as they don't just recycle ideas from the original show), and if they use my wonderful, brilliant ideas above, could be a modern gateway for these genres. Sure, sci-fi and fantasy have gotten big boosts in respect lately (what with LOTR winning Oscar), but horror could use a good kick in the pants. So, what I'm saying is, on the Remake Reaction Scale (where a 1 is "you motherhumpers, I'll kill you, so help me God, I'll kill you" and a 10 is, "You know what, I'm okay with this, you can stop the lithium feed, Doctor"), this one scores an 8!

Labels: , , , ,

Custom Search

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home