Friday, October 23, 2009

I'm in Blomkamp's Kamp

I'm not 100% fo shizzle, but District 9 may still be the best movie I've seen all year. I won't know until I painstakingly go back through this year's crop, but like a determined sexual partner with good balance during an earthquake, it still has a damn good chance of staying on top. Thus, I'm three-shades of excited upon hearing that Media Rights Capital has committed to writer/director Neil Blomkamp's next movie, which we blissfully know nothing about. The only things we know are from Blomkamp himself, who told BFDealMemo that the project is "unique" and "very much a reflection of me" before confirming the best part "it is absolutely another science fiction film." This makes me happier than Nicholas Cage demanding to know how it got burned.

If D9 does end up atop my year end list, an illustrious position that has led so many to fame and fortune, it will be because it is so categorically unique, because, despite the totally and insanely inaccurate review in a certain major Omaha newspaper, it is in no way reminiscent of any sci-fi film to precede it. Oh, sure, you can argue that tiny pieces are comparable to other moments, but that's like saying Paul Blart is reminiscent to The Godfather because both have chubby central figures. Blomkamp is, unlike some others who have received the label, a total visionary. I for one am absolutely thrilled that District 10 is not his next movie, that we know jack squatoosh about this next project, and that people have learned already to trust this guy. Good things, people. Good things.

Custom Search

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home