Movie I want to see, not coming. Movies I don't want to see, everywhere.
A preface: I wasn't born when Terrence Malick, who is often spoken of alongside the masters of his craft, made what is widely considered to be his masterpiece, Days of Heaven. I was in college by the time he made his next movie (The Thin Red Line), which I thought was pretty effin' amazing (although a bit weird). My wife is a psychotic fan of all things Native American. (Don't worry, all this will come together in a minute) Combine her excitement with my appreciation of The Thin Red Line and Malick's reputation and infrequent production and you can see why The New World (Malick's exploration of the English colonizing the Native American lands) was so appealing. Well, it sucked ass. Like, a lot of ass. Like, so much ass that it took us three attempts to finish it. It is a bad, bad, bad, bad movie. And don't nobody be tellin' me I don't "get" Malick either, because I looooved me some Thin Red Line. That's a turd movie that sentient turds wouldn't like. It made me think less of Collin Ferrell, and I don't think anyone thought that was possible,
Actual news: Okay, so call me stupid, but I'm once more looking forward to a Malick movie. Yes, like a kid who licked a still-hot stove burner, I'm back to suckle the crumbs of genius, as The Tree of Life sounds amazing to me. It's got Brad Pitt and is described as a family drama set in the 50s that spans the entire length of time. Uh, okay. It's also going to be accompanied in some form by an IMAX documentary narrated by Pitt called Voyage of Time. I have no idea how this will all fit together and neither does Malick, as the movie (and documentary) have been bumped from Christmas of this year (which was a shocking date in the first place) to "sometime" next year. I'm not sure where this is at in production, but Lord knows Malick is never in a hurry. This could come out by the time I have a kid and that kid is in college for all I know. But by then we'll be watching movies inside our brains and will be able to insert ourselves in the starring role using nanobots. So it's all a moot point really. See how I just made an epic post out of news that a genius artist is delaying his movie. Skills to (not) pay the bills, ladies and gents.

Actual news: Okay, so call me stupid, but I'm once more looking forward to a Malick movie. Yes, like a kid who licked a still-hot stove burner, I'm back to suckle the crumbs of genius, as The Tree of Life sounds amazing to me. It's got Brad Pitt and is described as a family drama set in the 50s that spans the entire length of time. Uh, okay. It's also going to be accompanied in some form by an IMAX documentary narrated by Pitt called Voyage of Time. I have no idea how this will all fit together and neither does Malick, as the movie (and documentary) have been bumped from Christmas of this year (which was a shocking date in the first place) to "sometime" next year. I'm not sure where this is at in production, but Lord knows Malick is never in a hurry. This could come out by the time I have a kid and that kid is in college for all I know. But by then we'll be watching movies inside our brains and will be able to insert ourselves in the starring role using nanobots. So it's all a moot point really. See how I just made an epic post out of news that a genius artist is delaying his movie. Skills to (not) pay the bills, ladies and gents.
Labels: Brad Pitt, Terrence malick, tree of life, tree of life delayed, voyage of time


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home