Monday, November 9, 2009

Hecker-no, Herckerling!

I don't hold the same measure of reverence for Amy Heckerling that some out there in the world do (like her mom, for example). I will tell you that I respect her for Clueless and Fast Times at Ridgemont High, even if she chose to also make multiple Look Who's Talking movies. She's a female director, so she gets automatic bonus points in my book, but those bonus points may be erased by the following blow to the sternum: She's making a vampire romantic comedy. Described as a "modern day fairytale," Vamps will be about two female vampires who fall in love. Not with each other, although lesbian vampire porn is pretty much all the rage these days (I can't fathom the amount of hits I'm about to get for the keywords "lesbian vampire porn"). On the one hand, I need another vampire movie like I need the additional car repairs being performed to my wife's vehicle as we speak. On the other, maybe...just maybe Heckerling is doing something subversive here. Consider: I've seen exactly one movie where the only vampire was female (Let the Right One In) and it was one of the best films I saw last year. For some reason, there's an unequal power dichotomy set up, wherein the male folk are the superpowered romantic figures and the little girls just lust after the pale-skinned pansies. Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps Miss Heckerling will give us something with a little (ahem) bite to it? This genre is ripe for the skewering, so let's hope it gets skewered...like this:



Labels: , , , , ,

Custom Search

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home