My favorite post ever...no sarcasm intended
I don't know if I can tell you how much I love Harlan Ellison. Ever since my best bud, Andrew, introduced me to him at the tender age of 15, I have been a devotee, reading everything and anything of his that I could get my hands on. I now know that his personality is a bit...difficult for most to handle (that's a nice way of saying that he is publicly seen as kind of a dick, and by kind of, I mean totally and supremely). I could care less, as I have long ago learned to separate the artist from the art. Fast forward a few decades, and I have become enamored with the work of JJ Abrams. From "Alias" to "Lost" and even Mission Impossible 3, I loved his work...and then came Star Trek, which is quickly rising on my list of all-time fun sci-fi movies. He just gets the kind of entertainment I like to enjoy. So when I read at Slashfilm.com today that Ellison stated on his blog that he is pretty openly campaigning for a shot to join the writing team of Star Trek 2, I nearly wept. I know that this is a long shot, but considering that Ellison wrote THE definitive episode of the original "Trek" TV series, "The City on the Edge of Forever," and considering that Abrams seems smart enough to at least take a meeting, this could actually happen. Look, I know that it will never outright work, because Ellison's personality and ego is such that there is no way in HELL he would take to rewrites or studio-mandated changes....but if Abrams is given control by Paramount (as he likely will be after the last film's success), what if he at least bought a pitch from Ellison. What if, after all these years, I finally get to see a big screen effort from one of my all time favorite writers? Could you imagine?
Labels: harlan ellison, JJ Abrams, star trek 2


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home