Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Fraggle Rock is scary enough already, dammit

Raise your hand if you were terrified by this:
That's the talking trash heap from "Fraggle Rock." Yes, a pile of trash that f**king talks to you. Let me back up and cover that one again. The trash, as in piles of waste, has a damn mouth and eyes and will talk to you. The reason I mention this is that Harvey Weinstein are looking for a new screenwriter for the big screen adaptation because they want something more "edgy." Edgy? Edgy, like say A PILE OF TRASH THAT TALKS TO YOU? Edgy? Fraggles are f**king weird, not edgy. They don't walk around talking about shivving the Muppets and they don't have some super secret origin story where they used to be regular people but were cursed by the demon Ba'al to walk the earth in felt. They're singing, dancing piles of fur that have goofy voices and pray to a talking mound of garbage. The show was hallucinatory and inherently batshit. It was NOT "edgy." Do bear in mind, as Slashfilm.com reminded me, that news of the writer hunt was provided by the current, understandably pissy screenwriter Corey Edwards. Edwards wrote not one, not two, but three Hoodwinked movies. I was unaware that there WERE three Hoodwinked movies, so it's entirely possible that Edwards just sucks and they want a new writer who doesn't. Sorry if that hurts Edwards feelings, but he wrote Hoodwinked, not me. It's kind of on him at this point.

Follow me on Twitter!

Labels: , , ,

Custom Search

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Fraggles didn't worship the Trash Heap they went to her for advice.

June 15, 2010  
Blogger Ryan said...

Technically, you are correct. But you can't be trying to tell me that you don't view the heap as a deity of some kind, right? I mean, that is animated garbage we're talking about. There's a higher (or lower) power at work here.

June 15, 2010  
Blogger Becky B. @ Bibliognome said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

June 15, 2010  
Blogger Becky B. @ Bibliognome said...

True, but I loved that singing trash heap and Red the fraggle, maybe I was just a weird kid.

I own the entire series and it is one strange show but also very entertaining.

I guess you could look at trash heap as a deity since they go to her for advice and to get there they have to get past the Gorgs so it's a journey for enlightenment. They also have to go through danger/getting chased by Sprocket(the dog) when they get the letters from Traveling Matt so maybe you can look at him as a prophet to the rest of them.

Anyways sorry about the long comment but I loved that show along with Perry Mason when I was in kindergarten.

June 15, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home