Thursday, September 9, 2010

Ryan's Junk Drawer

"Junk Drawer"
With great junk, comes great responsibility - "Better Off Ted"

Well hello there, you delicious readers of blog! It's the Thursday of a week that is short but has felt long, a week that needs to go away forever as soon as possible, a week that is only permitted to exist in my memory because it is the launch of the NFL season (may Favre be hurt tonight).

But you haven't come here to hear me wallow or for Fantasy Football suggestions (free hint: start the unicorn). No, you've come here to see my junk! You have to wait all week for me to get it up, and then when I do, I'm always distracting you with other things. Well no longer, it's time that you looked upon my junk and enjoyed it!

Obviously, by junk I mean movie tidbits too small to warrant their own posts, despite how randy and inappropriate the term I have chosen sounds. Every edition of this weekly column begins with me looking at the creepy image of a junk drawer above, from Highlights Magazine FOR CHILDREN, picking an item from said drawer, and writing a goofy story about it. Today's item is the green and red item in the lower right corner.

"Cornelius did not like to lose a bet, a problem compounded by his compulsive gambling habit and the fact that he was legally stupid. After a weekend spent losing money on pro football games, a weekend that did not go Cornelius's way despite his sure-to-be-dead-on 'pick the teams based on mascot fights' strategy, he needed a way to get back to even. While at the grocery store, he began trying to entice strangers with bets like "I bet I can get 10 eggs in that basket without breaking one" and "guess how many times the butcher washes his hands in one day despite touching all of your meats." Finally, a stranger proposed to him the oddest game of all. Desperation can make a man do incredible things. Women have lifted cars to save their children, men have punched through walls. That day, because he was that desperate for cash, Cornelius turned a cucumber inside out, a feat that has never been done before or since. Good for you, Cornelius."

Okay, enough tomfoolery, let's get to some movie nuggets!

1.) Captain chubby - This one is for my homey, Matty L. Sorry I've been uber busy, pal. I hope these shots that were actually taken from the set of Captain America make you feel better. Oh, do note that the chubby bunny in the suit is actually a stunt double and not the rock-hard Chris Evans. Also note that there will be better lighting and cinematography than these spy pics.
I actually don't mind it so much the more I look at it. It's pretty much Captain America, right? I mean, aside from the fact he appears to be wearing jeans and has his abs painted on. Let's take a look at his shield.
Okay, now that's Cap on a motorcycle, right? I mean that's pretty awesome, even from the rear ( a phrase I just don't say enough these days. Now let's see it all in motion.
Okay, first the positives: The rifle up front is pretty awesome looking, right? And I like his boots. The wings are...I mean, they need to be there but...hmm. You know what, I'm going to say I like it. At the very least, it's not the eye abortion that is the Green Lantern costume. I think that on screen this will look great. Let's get excited people, I give this a qualified thumbs up.

2.) Joel McHale to scare children with his skinny ties - I love Joel McHale, and you should too. Not only is he hilarious each week on "The Soup," but "Community" is the funniest show on TV. I don't care how many Emmys they give "Modern Family," which is so predictable and unoriginal that I literally say the jokes out loud while watching the show before they get to them, "Community" is better. No lie, "Modern Family" is "Two and a Half Men" with less Sheen and more people duped into believing it's clever. Anyway, McHale is going to bang Jessica Alba. WHAT?!?!? Hold on, turns out it's just in a movie. He's going to star in the next Spy Kids movie as a "spy-hunting reporter married to Alba's character, the stepmother to his kids." This means they'll probably have him playing a douche, which sucks because I think he's someone I like to like. So on the plus side: He gets to star in a movie and touch Jessica Alba. On the negative side: He has to play a douche and listen to Jessica Alba try to make words come out of her face.

Oh, one last salvo in the "Community" rules war:


3.) Forget deporting anchor babies, let's import Anchorman 2! - Adam McKay, who somehow willed The Other Guys to a rather impressive box office total given the spectacular mediocrity of that film, may have enough cred now to get things cooking on the sequel I want most at the moment. He told Collider that Paramount has finally wised up to the potential popularity. The uproar about the death of the film rippled through the Internets, something I like to think we started at this here blog (we didn't, but I like to think that). According to McKay:

"It did, it made a difference. Paramount heard it. Adam Goodman, the President of Paramount, was on the first one so he loves it and when that outcry came, he was kind of excited because he knew it could maybe push it towards happening. That having been said, I’m clearly going into it like another movie so if it does happen it’s still two years away or a ways away. And I haven’t talked to anyone. There’s nothing happening right now but it helped, it helped."

Does this mean we're getting another hilarious installment? Not necessarily. But if we keep up the noise, it sure does become more possibler. Let's do it! Let's all keep squawking enough to make more better the chances of this becoming possibler!

4.) Assholes keep getting bigger - Aziz Ansari and Danny McBride together sounds like a great idea. Nevermind that the idea is a little stale. Basically, the want to star in the sure-to-be-retitled Olympic-Sized Asshole, about an Olympic star who comes back to town and bangs the wives and girlfriends of Ansari and McBride, who declare revenge on him. Bitter, angry humor is what these guys can do best, and any excuse to put two truly funny guys together works for me.

This is also a great excuse for me to post this:


I don't care what you say, this stand-up act was one of my all-time favorites.

5.) Trailers, parked - We're in a lull as far as trailers right now. I don't have any explanation as to why, because I'm not very smart sometimes. I do now that I have two weird projects to show you.

First up is Hobo with a Shotgun, which is kind of like Machete, in that it was inspired by a fake trailer. I'm guessing with the relative meh with which Machete was met, this film will do much, much worse, as it features 100% less Lohan boobies and zero Cheech Marin. Still, it's a hobo with a shotgun, so enjoy.


Amigo is underrated, off-the-radar director John Sayles' take on the turn-of-the-century conflict between American forces and the Philippines. It's something we don't talk about very much, just like the talented director!


That's all the junk for this week! Let's meet back tomorrow and discuss weekend plans and (God willing) Brett Favre's career-ending injury!

Follow me on Twitter!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

Custom Search

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home