Friday, July 10, 2009

Wake me when Bradley Cooper, Justin Timberlake, and Ryan Reynolds are wearing the Green Lantern costume at the same time

The big news today (or last night for West Coasters, insomniacs, and whatever assorted jobless ghouls and goblins are up until the late hours of Thursday night...Christ, I just noticed that the stamp on The Hollywood Reporter story is at 10 pm central, so it turns out I adhere to Wilford Brimley's sleep schedule) is that Warner Brothers has narrowed the list of who will wear the Green Lantern costume in their sure-to-be-disappointing-movie to three names: Ryan Reynolds, Bradley Cooper, and (gulp) Justin Timberlake (I'm just going to guess that the odd-man-out was Val Kilmer...see what sausage bloat costs you). All three were signed to holding contracts (which is preferable to a "snuggle contract" or an "awkward one-night-stand contract"), but those expired on Monday, which means we're going to find out very soon who fills the nondescript green costume and pupil-free mask. I would like to point out that keeping all three would be very possible depending on the script (Cooper as Hal Jordan, Timberlake as Kyle Raynor, and Reynolds as Sinsestro), but such things are not an option when your film is budgeted at $200 million already (ah, the price of goofy CGI green boxing gloves). Instead, we're going to see one of them as the jolly green giant and the other two will go back to banging super, insanely hot chicks on their yacht. Let's look at a few pros and cons for each man left standing:

Bradley Cooper

Pros: He definitely has the arrogance/confidence to play the part and is not identified with a major icon-level role yet. Hal Jordan is a typical DC generic figure, a good guy with a great heart and lots of moxy and confidence. Anybody can play that, but Cooper does seem right for it.
Cons: He has a mullet, I don't care what you call it, it's a mullet. Also, I kind of think he's an ass. I don't have proof, we don't hang out or anything, but he reeks of douche. I can tell because he has a mullet.

Ryan Reynolds

Pros: Well, at the risk of making my wife uncomfortable with her choice in mate, dude's got the body for it. Also, he's had a superhero boner longer than most 8-year-old boys in underoos. He HAS to play a superhero or he may die inside.
Cons: He's supposed to play Deadpool. Then again, that's set up at Fox Studios, the worst thing not called cancer. There's no guarantee that someone won't come in and say "let's keep him a mute in this movie, too." Also, even though he's beloved, he's a stupid character. He's basically Ferris Buehler crossed with the Punisher. Still, he's been talking up this movie like his life depended on it.

Justin Timberlake

Pros: Dude actually does have acting ability. Not just Black Snake Moan, but "SNL." As someone who coaches interpretation and acting (yes, for real), it is FAR harder to be funny than to be dramatic (which makes the Oscars' hatred of comedy hilarious). Plus, he's got that "it" factor. I think he would make a better Raynor, but I could see this working.
Cons: He's Justin F**king Timberlake. You're going to sell an N'Sync-er to the comic crowd. Why don't you just go in there and talk to them about relevant socio-political concerns. They will not accept it...then again, WB may not care, as they make bank on the tweens and teens going to see a movie in droves that they may not have before (especially when he performs his tie-in single Supersexy Space Flyin').

Again, I'll repeat because I think it works the best: Keep them all, make Cooper Hal, Justin Kyle, and Ryan Sinestro. We'll all be happy and they won't cry. Everyone seems to be predicting Justin and Bradley, but I'm going to go with Reynolds, he needs to be a superhero and actually has the best box office record of the three (I'm wrong, but I want to be different, so that if it happens I can brag about it on the Internet).

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

Custom Search

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home