Bring back what's-his-name
Sigh, another slow news day. So let me catch you up on "the plan." I will be slaving away on my Where the Wild Things Are review so that you can read all about it prior to its release this Friday (spoiler alert: see the damn thing like 100 times). So this will be the last little news nugget I give you before diving into that. People are buzzing because someone asked Roland Emmerich (currently pimping his latest world destroying opus, 2012, which we can only hope features another climactic showdown with CGI wolves) about why there was never an Independence Day sequel. I always thought the answer was that they ran out of other sci-fi movies to rip off, but apparently it has to do with money and who is or is not willing to take a cut of the back end and blah, blah, blah. Here's what I'm worried about: how could you possibly do a sequel to the film without this guy?

I mean, without him, there's no way you even contemplate a sequel. I'm of course talking about Harry Connick Jr in his iconic role of "buddy who gets blow'd up." Now, I know that there's got to be some way to use alien space magic to bring back this classic character of American cinema. Surely the aliens teleported him out just before he 'sploded. I'm just spitballing here. For the record, the real holdup is Smith saying he needed more money, but let's all just be grateful that things are likely never going to move forward because (A) I don't need to see a movie where Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum go to an alien planet and stop their civilization using AOL dial-up and (B) moving forward without Connick Jr would be wrong...so very wrong.


I mean, without him, there's no way you even contemplate a sequel. I'm of course talking about Harry Connick Jr in his iconic role of "buddy who gets blow'd up." Now, I know that there's got to be some way to use alien space magic to bring back this classic character of American cinema. Surely the aliens teleported him out just before he 'sploded. I'm just spitballing here. For the record, the real holdup is Smith saying he needed more money, but let's all just be grateful that things are likely never going to move forward because (A) I don't need to see a movie where Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum go to an alien planet and stop their civilization using AOL dial-up and (B) moving forward without Connick Jr would be wrong...so very wrong.
Labels: 2012, harry connick jr, Independence day sequel, roland emmerich, Will Smith


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home