Monday, October 12, 2009

Weekend Box Office Results: Paranormal what now?

I have to tell you, this won't be talked about a whole lot, but good God damn did Paranormal Activity light a bag of poop on fire and put it on the box office's doorstep. I mean, seriously? A per-screen average of $44,163? Really? To put it in perspective, the next highest grossing movie per screen was Couples Retreat with $11,000. Wowza. What Warner Bros has done with this film is going to be used as a blueprint for how to build excitement for a small genre project. I'm really in awe right now. I don't even mind that it totally boffed my results for the week...wait, I'm insanely shallow, so yes I do.

Here's the results, haiku style:

1.) Couples Retreat - $35 million (Accuracy of prediction - 86%)

All these years later,
Vince Vaughn is still a big draw.
And fat. He's fat now.

2.) Zombieland - $15 million (Accuracy of prediction - 100%)

No signs of stopping,
this is good through Halloween.
I can't wait for more.

3.) Cloudy With a Chance for Meatballs - $12 million (Accuracy of prediction - 100%)

This is my job now.
Reporting on the meatballs.
I have had enough.

(Note: For some reason, the HTML cut off my prediction numbers for Toy Story/Toy Story 2, The Invention of Lying, and The Surrogates...the only one that matters is the first one, and I had it at $7 million. I swear. If you don't believe me, it's my blog, so leave me alone.)

4.) Toy Story/Toy Story 2 - $7.5 million (Accuracy of prediction - 97%)

I can't wait for 3.
It brings out the kid in me.
I miss my old toys.

5.) Paranormal Activity - $7 million (Accuracy of prediction - 0%)

This is just insane.
I've never seen such success
for a little film.

Overall Accuracy of Prediction - 77%

Another "C" grade
I underachieve often.
Mom must be so proud.

That's it gang, go about your Monday business.

Labels: , , , , , ,

Custom Search

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home