Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Weird Holiday News Week Volume Two: How naughty are you?

I really love Slashfilm.com...but I kind of hate that they put the Swedish chef from The Muppets cooking a turkey in honor of Thanksgiving before I did. I was going to do it, I swear. I mean it! I'm the guy who used the phrase Muppet boner for the love of God. You know what, f**k it, I'm putting it up anyway.



Ahh, now I feel better. Moving on...Slashfilm pointed out this cool story from The Chicago Sun Times (via THR) that deals with whether or not watching streaming illegal content on your computer is technically illegal. To all you people who sought out that Erin Andrews nude footage and are now eagerly hoping to squeegee your consciences...sorry. Not only can I not help you Godless perverts, but that's a different kind of illegal video. We're talking about pirated movies. And not pirate movies, although you can pirate pirate movies. I digress. The idea is that it is clearly illegal as the law is written right now to download or disseminate copyrighted materials, but watching it when someone else has done that isn't necessarily illegal. I mean, it likely is, as Slashfilm points out, all it takes is one case of an asshole getting sued for watching something and WHAMMO, we've got precedent. It's a tough call, but personally I think it's naughty no matter how you justify it. I will watch and post bootlegged trailers...because stealing advertising for your movie and reposting it elsewhere is only helping your cause (you actually pay other people to show that, so I'm doing you a free favor). I will not watch bootlegged movies. That's a personal line I can't cross, but I'm curious what others think.

Labels: ,

Custom Search

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do it all the time. You wouldn't download a car? Don't gimme that crap; I would if I could.

November 24, 2009  
Blogger Ryan said...

Aside from the futuristic thrill of downloading a car, I would probably pass. Really, I don't avoid doing such things because I feel bad for the studios. I don't do it because it's wrong. I'm supposed to pay for it and I didn't. I don't know how much I believe the trumped up accusations of how truly harmful piracy is to the industry, but I'm fairly familiar with right and wrong. For me, it's that simple. Although if I could physically download Natalie Portman, I would instantly change this position.

November 24, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home