Friday, March 12, 2010

I've been told to care about this...

I'm not a Planet of the Apes enthusiast. I'm more inclined to investigate the series now that Charlton Heston is dead. What? I felt like me getting into the series would somehow give the cantankerous old gun-toter some measure of pleasure before he died, and eff that. Anyway, I'm barely knowledgeable on the franchise. I was too young to really hit the craze that died out in the 70s and 80s, and then came the Tim Burton debacle. A quick word about that total dogshit movie, though: Looking back on it, that may have been the death of Tim Burton the moviemaker. I know that sounds crazy, but I think his will and spirit got broken by the negative public reaction to the film. He retreated into an insular, well-cultivated fanbase that celebrates his repetition as some measure of genius. If you look at it, everything he's done since then is so totally obvious and expected that I kind of wish we had supported that miserable misfire if just to keep Timmy on the straight and narrow. I'm rambling, this is supposed to be about how they've hired someone to reboot the series in a way. People who know, specifically Devin from Chud, have been pretty geeked about Cesar, the movie that will serve as a leaping-off point for future Planet of the Apes movies. Supposedly, it's a "hard sci-fi movie" (a descriptor that always seems kind of dirty to me...like it's going to have scenes of spaceships doin' it or something) that details humans genetically engineering really intelligent chimps who stage some kind of revolt. You can see where this would lead to the world of Planet of the Apes, what with the apes attempting to rule the planet. Again, this really doesn't do anything for me in particular, but I've heard that I should be excited. So allow me to feign excitement. Whoopie. There. That's the best I can do.

Labels: , , ,

Custom Search

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home