Weekend Battle Plan: Go totally gay
In theaters
Look, you probably know if you're going to see Bruno already. If you saw Borat, did the impression for everybody (which sucked but was funny at first because you thought it was so good, then annoying because everybody did it, and then funny again because you are so incredibly lame), and know who Ali G is, you'll be seeing the movie. If you're a conservative who is terrified by the gays, if you found Borat to be "stupid" or "insulting," or if you've ever watched "The 700 Club" for more than 4 minutes without laughing, reaching for the remote, or retching, you're not going to see this movie. Personally, what I hope happens is that people go and spark up a dialogue. Why is it offensive to you (gay or straight)? Is the stereotype of Bruno's character blowing up the classic imagery in a postmodern way or is it just throwing kerosene on a flaming image? Things like that are GOOD for society, to have to confront those thoughts and ideals that we pretend aren't there. As a staunch supporter of gay rights (as it's a civil rights issue and all...), I'm happy that the film is out there making people squirm. Plus, it's funny as shit. Ron Paul deals with a pantsless dude, and Paula Abdul sits on a Mexican because Bruno convinces her he hired him as furniture. Seriously, that's funny. Whether you find it too controversial, too over-the-top, or love the stuffin' out of it, the one thing we can all agree on is that nobody is going to go see I Love You Beth Cooper. Sorry Christopher Columbus and Hayden Panitierre (who isn't as cute as people think and is as talented as a well-salted soda cracker).
That's my recommendation: Get some laughs and some social perspective with Bruno.
On DVD
I've decided I'm a full-fledged supporter of Knowing, the wacky sci-fi movie from director Alex Proyas and hairpiece underling Nicholas Cage. Why? Because it's wacky sci-fi! It's a "Twilight Zone" episode with bigger effects. Seriously, the plot (a guy finds a time capsule with predictions of disaster in the future) and even the ending (I won't reveal it, but wowza it's out there) would be right at home in the old TV show that I love (I kept turning it to the SyFy channel marathon last week, but everyone kept changing it to Wimbledon...really, people, who watches Wimbledon that doesn't say crumpet or "bloody 'ell?"). Rent it, enjoy it, even if it's weird. The effects alone are worth it. Honest.
That's my recommendation: Nicholas Cage movies that don't suck are like Haley's comet. Catch Knowing to celebrate.
Look, you probably know if you're going to see Bruno already. If you saw Borat, did the impression for everybody (which sucked but was funny at first because you thought it was so good, then annoying because everybody did it, and then funny again because you are so incredibly lame), and know who Ali G is, you'll be seeing the movie. If you're a conservative who is terrified by the gays, if you found Borat to be "stupid" or "insulting," or if you've ever watched "The 700 Club" for more than 4 minutes without laughing, reaching for the remote, or retching, you're not going to see this movie. Personally, what I hope happens is that people go and spark up a dialogue. Why is it offensive to you (gay or straight)? Is the stereotype of Bruno's character blowing up the classic imagery in a postmodern way or is it just throwing kerosene on a flaming image? Things like that are GOOD for society, to have to confront those thoughts and ideals that we pretend aren't there. As a staunch supporter of gay rights (as it's a civil rights issue and all...), I'm happy that the film is out there making people squirm. Plus, it's funny as shit. Ron Paul deals with a pantsless dude, and Paula Abdul sits on a Mexican because Bruno convinces her he hired him as furniture. Seriously, that's funny. Whether you find it too controversial, too over-the-top, or love the stuffin' out of it, the one thing we can all agree on is that nobody is going to go see I Love You Beth Cooper. Sorry Christopher Columbus and Hayden Panitierre (who isn't as cute as people think and is as talented as a well-salted soda cracker).
That's my recommendation: Get some laughs and some social perspective with Bruno.
On DVD
I've decided I'm a full-fledged supporter of Knowing, the wacky sci-fi movie from director Alex Proyas and hairpiece underling Nicholas Cage. Why? Because it's wacky sci-fi! It's a "Twilight Zone" episode with bigger effects. Seriously, the plot (a guy finds a time capsule with predictions of disaster in the future) and even the ending (I won't reveal it, but wowza it's out there) would be right at home in the old TV show that I love (I kept turning it to the SyFy channel marathon last week, but everyone kept changing it to Wimbledon...really, people, who watches Wimbledon that doesn't say crumpet or "bloody 'ell?"). Rent it, enjoy it, even if it's weird. The effects alone are worth it. Honest.
That's my recommendation: Nicholas Cage movies that don't suck are like Haley's comet. Catch Knowing to celebrate.
Labels: At the Movies, Bruno, comedy, DVD, DVD recommendation, gay rights, homophobia, knowing, movie recommendation, nicholas cage


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home