Thursday, August 27, 2009

Toot toot time

Don't tell people who have to use this mode of transportation for commuting purposes daily, but trains are, dare I say it, cool. In fact, I would hasten to say that were I born a century ago, I would have been a train conductor. I have no real skills in that area, but as far as I can tell, the job involves wearing a wicked-sweet jumpsuit and making a giant beast of steel go "toot toot" sometimes. I can do that. I bring this up because this weekend (starting tomorrow actually, but if you don't consider Friday part of the weekend, you don't have a job) the Durham Museum in Omaha (at 801 South 10th Street) is hosting the "Disney's A Christmas Carol" Train Tour, which involves a 3D sneak peek at the new movie starring an animated version of Jim Carrey...so this is sort of like that Avatar preview only you don't have to worry about tickets or unrealistic blue human kangaroo thingies. Okay, you do have to worry about the somewhat creepy motion capture technology, but since the movie is based on a story that has ghosts and a bit of creep-i-tude associated with it, I'm down with that (it was harder to accept when I was supposed to LIKE Tom Hanks in The Polar Express, when the whole time I thought he was there to take my soul). The exhibit will show off four classic train cars and will also feature fake snow and live carolers because, you know, August 28 isn't too early to start thinking about what you're going to buy me for Christmas (hint: Blu-ray player, Batman: Arkham Asylum, and my own professional sports team). Admission is free (to the event, not admission to my heart, which will cost you a Blu-ray player and Batman: Arkham Asylum at least), so you have no excuse not to go down and get yer train on.

Labels: , , , , ,

Custom Search

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home