Discussion time!
Thanks to EW.com for the alerting me to the following: I find this Esquire editorial blog post to be insanely fascinating. Basically, the article posits that one of the major reasons women are so beguiled by Twilight and other vampire shit (and it is, unquestionably, shit) is perhaps because...straight women want to have sex with gay men. Now, before you scoff and dismiss this entirely, it does make sense on a few levels. Moving beyond the obvious stereotypical elements of vampirical effeminate behaviors and appearances, consider that "True Blood" makes no bones about the allegory between homosexuality and vampirism. The show is littered with various references that the Esquire article details well. When examining Twilight, consider the rather common teenage experience of desiring the unattainable. Many, many, many girls I know have the "I fell in love with a gay guy in high school" story. I heard two new ones last week (no lie). Hell, there are so many ways in which this works I almost think there's no way it isn't at least partially responsible. Just consider things like the two kinds of sex symbols that are currently out there: the rugged playboy (George Clooney, Brad Pitt) and the oddly effeminate (Johnny Depp, Robert Downey Jr). Am I saying that all women who read this material or watch the countless terrible f**king movies about vampires are all gay chasers? Hell no, that's stupid. I do however find this an interesting phenomenon. By the way, it makes me want to support the whole stupid movement a little bit. See, any ways in which we can use pop culture to make people more supportive of the gay community is a good idea. What do you think? Is this real, off-base, possible, or totally batshit insane?
Oh, and in related fang news, the only vampire movie I'm actually interested in is Daybreakers, which stars Ethan Hawke and Willem Dafoe and is set in a world where 95% of the population are vampires and the remaining 5% aren't enough to feed the others. It's vampire used as obvious social metaphor and not simplistic love interest, so I think it sounds cool. Also, early buzz has it rocking much ass. The new poster, which is totally Matrix-tastic, is right here for you.

Cool as hell, huh?

Oh, and in related fang news, the only vampire movie I'm actually interested in is Daybreakers, which stars Ethan Hawke and Willem Dafoe and is set in a world where 95% of the population are vampires and the remaining 5% aren't enough to feed the others. It's vampire used as obvious social metaphor and not simplistic love interest, so I think it sounds cool. Also, early buzz has it rocking much ass. The new poster, which is totally Matrix-tastic, is right here for you.

Cool as hell, huh?
Labels: daybreakers, esquire, Twilight, vampire as gay metaphor, vampires


1 Comments:
Oi. I don't care how you rationalize it there is no excuse for this tourtured yuppie vampire nonsense. Vampires are dark evil hate machines that should twist off baby heads and chug them like beers not languish in the moon light about metaphorically wanted to get naughty with that same team. This romantic vampire emo bullshit has got to stop.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home