Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Two stories I feel like we've heard 100000 times before

Tim Burton is directing a gothic fairy tale, and George Lucas wants to tinker more with Star Wars by re-releasing them in 3D. I feel like those things (which Slashfilm covered quite well this fine morn) don't really require a whole lot of discussion, as we've heard something similar so many times before. Oh, I'm going to discuss them, because that's what I do, yo. I just don't like it. Le sigh. Okay, first up is Burton doing Maleficent, which is a movie that focuses on the giant dragon-transforming villainess from Sleeping Beauty.
I'm in the minority among my friends, but I think Tim Burton needs a career intervention. Seriously, the cat's been doing the SAME MOVIE for like 2 decades now. Say what you will about how God awful that Superman movie would have been, I want to have seen it. It looked like a blissfully weird failure. I think that what he needs to do is something like that, not retelling the story of a well-known witch like Maleficent, but something like adapting a well-known novel or comic that doesn't fit his traditional mold. I like Burton's stuff, as almost everybody does. I just think he was so burned by the studio on Planet of the Apes that he retreated within this shell of familiarity. Speaking of shell of familiarity, the less said about Lucas returning to films he's already made the better. I feel about this the exact same way I do about the classless douche Brett Favre throwing that unnecessary touchdown in the Dallas game on Sunday. What do I mean? Well, Favre (and Lucas) certainly have THE RIGHT to do what they're doing. Favre plays in the NFL (Lucas plays with Industrial Lights and Magic studios and has more money than God), so he has every right professionally to assume that the other team should be able to stop him (Lucas can argue "We don't have to see the new tinkered-with Star Wars if we don't want to). But why do it? Why (in either case) do something that only potentially tarnishes what other people are excited about? Because you're a douche (both of them). That's the only reason. Because you are so inherently douchey that you can't undouche yourself for even a minute. You want to achieve non-douche status George Lucas (it's too late for Favre)? Let someone else make new Star Wars movies that are good. It's that easy.

Labels: , , , ,

Custom Search

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Undouche. I dig the new term Ryan. I think it might be the "defriend" of 2010.

-Darren

January 19, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home