Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Toppest Gun

The funniest line in Hot Shots, the unnecessary Top Gun spoof, comes when a bunch of pilots climb into their jets for a training session and one of them yells "Come on guys, let's see who's the best!" It's the way he says it that kills me. You could have had just that one scene and it would have effectively mocked Top Gun all that it needed to be mocked. I mean, all it needed to be mocked other than the now well-recognized fact that it was far ahead of its time in terms of mainstream homosexual eroticism.



I think I know a generation of Republican congressmen who grew up watching that movie...you know, for the fight scenes...yeah...the fight scenes. Get excited, closeted self-haters, because MTV.com recently spoke with suddenly struggling super-producer Jerry Bruckheimer (Prince of Persia flopped, Confessions of a Shopaholic flopped, The Sorcerer's Apprentice is just sitting there, waiting to flop). He more or less said that if someone can come up with a reasonable way to do it, there's nothing stopping a Top Gun 2. Considering that Knight and Day was supposed to be the final determining factor of whether or not Tommy boy got his Mission Impossible 4 greenlit (which I so, so, so badly hope happens because I loved the last one and I can't wait to see Brad Bird directing actual humans), and considering it semi-flopped, there's reason to believe the time may be perfect for the two flopping floppers to reunite and correct their floppage. I have to say, I'd be all in favor of a Top Gun 2 (and not just to see how far they could take the volleyball scene in the modern era). The effects have come so far, and it's not like the story was so brilliant, the characters so endearing to us, that we can't imagine sullying them by bringing them back. I say do it. I say Maverick redeems himself and gets his rugged, manly game of topless volleyball on to once more save us all!


Labels: , , , ,

Custom Search

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home