Thursday, July 23, 2009

It's my blog-a-versary, what'd you get me?

Some 365 days ago, in the spot upon which your gaze is fixed right now, I began what some would call a fool's errand: I attempted to use "the Internet" to log my thoughts on "the web," a little practice I decided to call "logwebbing" (somehow the name didn't catch on). Fast forward a year, and I still haven't managed to get The Reader's Web site upgraded (for those keep track at home, we're entering year 5 of my pleading for change from the current Commodore 64-era style), I've made enemies of public radio (see below), I've come up with 25 things to do besides watch Twilight or a new Miley Cyrus movie (also available by scrolling down), and I've put Nic Cage to better use than anyone besides his wife (yeah, you know what's lurking below this paragraph).

Over this year, I've tried to pick up some good habits, lose some bad ones, make movie rumors entertaining, and generally do my best to keep things interesting around these parts. Really, the only thing I regret is that there hasn't been enough discussion on these here posts. I don't know if that's because the janky format I'm locked into is so unweildy that you can't figure out how, if you don't care to do so because I'm more boring than watching a three-hour documentary on the origin of pancake batter, or if you just generally don't care to comment. Still, I would love to know what you would love to see. I'm a pleaser, honest I am, and I would like nothing more than to please you (wow that sounds dirty, I mean, I was shooting for dirty, but still). So, in addition to whatever present you'd like to send me (email me at film@thereader.com for information about where to send the presents...note that the word there is plural), please drop a note or send an email to that address and let me know what you want from me (after you send me a present).

And now, to further celebrate, I humbly present five of my kind-of-favorite things from the last year of Cutting Room (or at least the ones I could remember).

1.) Someone at PRI knows who I am (April, 2009)

Please, Ira Glass, love me as I love you

So, the other night I'm watching "The Colbert Report," and Ira Glass is on, being his usual charming, nebbish self. As planned, he and Colbert proceed to have a discussion (one that produced a great quip from Colbert about how doing a live version of a radio show is "like entering a novel in a baking contest" and a joke about how strapping Garrison Keillor looks...which, come on, we've ALL thought before). After a bit, they began specifically conversing about how "This American Life" is NOT an NPR show but is produced and distributed by Public Radio International. Colbert specifically makes fun of NPR stating "You don't want to be one of those NPR people." In that moment, I realize that despite being listed as one of the programs on the NPR Web site and being heard almost exclusively on NPR channels, "This American Life" is NOT an NPR show. Why does this nuance matter? Because in my review of Examined Life, I refer to "NPR's 'This American Life.'" Oh well, I figure, who's going to notice or care. It's not like I'm going to get a call from an angry Ira Glass (can Ira Glass get angry...if he does get angry, does it sound like other people when they are happy?) and have him ream me for this. Fast forward one whole day from the article's posting on the Internet...and lo and behold, we're contacted by a PRI media watcher who informs us of our gaffe. Now, on the one hand, I feel bad, because Glass seems to imply some kind of NPR vs PRI feud during his interview (two well-educated, socially aware, liberal-leaning organizations enter ONE SHALL LEAVE). On the other, the people from PRI read something I wrote and made a comment on it. Given how much I love "This American Life" and all of the people on it (Dan Savage and Sarah Vowell are idols in my shrines), and other shows from PRI ("Studio 360" and "Whadya Know" in particular), I don't know whether to count this as a loss for having slightly misattributed something or a win because they somewhat in some way know who I am. Either way, it's something to talk about...and on a Friday, I'll take it. So, officially, mea culpa, it is PRI's "This American Life" and I shant forget again.

2.) Airing of Festivus Grievances (December 2008)

Because the number of interesting film tidbits and items are just as slowed by the mind-numbing frigidity of the weather as my will to live, we're going to do things differently today. Instead of dumping movie news chunks on your eyeballs (that sounded way more disgusting than I wanted it to), we're going to editorialize a bit about three irritating subjects. It's the three bitches of Christmas or, to be less religiously divisive, The Festivus "Airing of Grievances."

Grievance One: Sit the Eff Down

Ladies and gentleman, we are gathered here today not to bitch about cell phone use in the theater (if you do this, you are a malignant douche hammer who believes himself to be beyond such concerns as "other people" and the universe will soon dispose of you as one disposes of single use toilet paper). We are not gathered here to bitch about bringing kids too young to sit through a 3-hour violent war opus or sex-soiled horror film (these people will also one day succumb to the universe's
TP disposal methods). No, we are here to bitch about the late arrivers, those who think they can still go see the movie they've arrived 20 minutes late for anyway. Now, the fact that you have no disregard whatsoever for your own money is fine by me...although, do consider that missing 20 minutes of a 2-hour movie is basically the equivalent of pouring the neck of the bottle of Canadian Springs whiskey you spent the last few hours drinking onto the street. No, what I'm worried about is the chain of events that your clock-ignoring ass sets into motion. Step 1: You disrupt the entire theater as you either look for your friends who you are meeting (who should not be your friends because they are decent, punctual human beings) or you fumble around letting your eyes adjust while you hunt for the perfect seat in a theater that has been watching a movie for the last 20 minutes. Step 2: This disruption causes annoyance in other theater members (cough, ME, cough), resulting in a distraction from the plot, events, and mood. If we WERE into the movie's world, we are now reminded that we are actually just in a small box with disrespectful subhuman pigmen. Step 3: YOU have missed the opening of the film. Now, whenever a character arrives on screen to do something, you must lean over and go "Who's she?" and "What is she doing?" Step 4: You are bludgeoned to death with a $16 box of Milk Duds. Look, I get running late, but if you miss by more than the length of the previews (give or take a minute), you are too late and should go to another movie or wait for the next show. Period. No exceptions. In fact, this should be a rule for the theater...NAY, it should be a federal mandate that also grants pardon for the inevitable Milk Dud bludgeoning. You've been warned.

Grievance Two: Don't make me hate trailers like God hates trailer parks

We all know that one of the best things about the movies is seeing previews. I mean, sure, we all know that the new Adam Sandler movie is going to suck, but the trailer is good for a laugh. What's that? You have a cool new, end-of-the-world, special effects orgy movie?! After seeing the trailer once, I've already seen you blow your visual wad, so who needs to see the full thing, which is likely crammed with terrible acting by CW stars. Murder mystery? I bet I can figure out the whole thing by the time you're done playing that Dave Matthews Band song! That said, an interesting thing has happened with previews...we're getting more of them...a lot more of them. Last weekend I sat through 9, count them, 9 previews. I wanted to see 8 of those movies, sure, but after the third I was like "just show me the damn Keanu Reeves movie already" and I have never, ever thought that before. Also, I know I've complained before about giving stuff away in the preview, but nobody's going to change that, but can we talk about shortening the length of those bad boys? I mean, a 90-second spot is all it takes to sell me a Lexus or other fine luxury automobile (at least according to the people who thing that wealthy individuals are watching the Bears game and not schtupping some model), isn't 90 seconds all it should take to convince me that, yes, I do want to see Hugh Jackman as Wolverine disemboweling people again? Too much of a good thing is a bad thing sometimes, just ask Hugh Hefner. I love me some trailers, but only for a few minutes. Sounds reasonable, right?

Grievance three: The only thing longer than the movie was your description of how long the movie was

I've said it before and I'll say it again: no, movies shouldn't be 3 hours long unless they are adapting a 10,000 word book or unless 99% of that
runtime features a mostly nekkid Rachel McAdams. Still, you don't have to bitch EVERY time about how long the movie is. Here's the thing, they've invented a device called the "Internet." On it, you can see the running time for the movie you are considering watching and then complaining about. What I'm saying is, this should not come as a surprise to you. Thus, when I ask you afterward what you thought, do not say to me "Well, it was long." Really? Really, time master, you think? Yes it was long, but was it good? If you say "it didn't sustain its run time," I at least find you a competent being but "it was long" is not a commentary its a statement of fact. If you're one of those people with the attention span of a fruit fly who can't finish the latest Dean Koontz book because its "too long," maybe you shouldn't be seeing movies that have a run time higher than your IQ. Find something new to complain about! Whine about lighting, or makeup, or dialogue, or plot, or the guy next to you who showed up 20 minutes into the movie, or about how long/plentiful the trailers were. Slip the whining about the length into the middle and we may even stay friends afterwards. You never know!

Well folks, that's my
Festivus grievances. If you have your own, I encourage you to leave them. It's very therapeutic.

3.) I hate Twilight soooooo much (November 2008)

And now (just because): 25 Things I'd Rather Do Than See Twilight

1.) Wash my car, not just using a rag and soapy water in 30-degree weather, but with my tongue while wearing only circa-1986 "I heard it through the grapevine" California Raisins
underoos.

2.) Watch an all day marathon of "Hannah Montana" without the benefits of hallucinogens or blindness.

3.) Discuss politics with family members, some of whom are among the 13% who think Bush is doing a "totally awesome job."

4.) Make out with Kevin Costner.

5.) Tell people I've made out with Kevin Costner.

6.) Eat clam chowder from the new restaurant "Floyd's Year-Old Milk Product Cafe."

7.) Be forced to make small talk with Ryan
Seacrest (sample conversation: "So, hair products then?")

8.) Write an episode of "Two and a Half Men."

9.) Watch an episode of "Two and a Half Men."

10.) Learn to lambada ("the forbidden dance") with a first-degree relative.

11.) Listen to a whole Jessica Simpson song.

12.) Re-categorize my CD collection according to the colors on the album cover.

13.) Publicly defend
NASCAR.

14.) Invent a new language consisting only of variations in the tone of armpit farts.

15.) Set foot in a Hot Topic.

16.) Balance the federal budget while Gilbert Gottfried and Carrot Top stand on either side of me telling "jokes."

17.) Watch an all-day marathon of "Sex and the City" with the friends of the people who claim to have friends "just like that."

18.) Transcribe the Koran into Klingon.

19.) Ask Tom Cruise to "convince me that Scientology rules."

20.) Have a conversation lasting more than 20 seconds with any contestant on the following: "The Bachelor," "The
Bachelorette," "Rock of Love," "Bang Tila Tequila," "Real Chance at Love," "Charm School," "Flavor of Love," "I Love New York," and "Wipeout."

21.) Explain basic algebra to any
Lohan.

22.) Reprogram my car radio to only receive "
Hannity" and "Limbaugh."

23.) Get a tattoo of Brett
Favre.

24.) Gamble my life savings on a game of Euchre.

25.) Actually read one of the God-forsaken, amateurish books that Twilight was based on and explain to the legion of she-fans why this writing is, in fact, wretched.


4.) I hate Miley Cyrus almost as much as I hate Twilight (July 2009)

25 THINGS I WOULD RATHER DO THAN SEE THE NEXT MILEY CYRUS MOVIE
  1. Three words: Wayans. Brothers. Marathon.
  2. Write a novel based on each and every Taylor Swift song.
  3. Thoroughly test the FDA's expiration date practices on cheese and cheese-related products.
  4. Watch Hilary Duff do something other than release her death rattle.
  5. Invent hairstyles for back hair (first up: the hind-quarter mullet).
  6. Invest my life savings in a line of "According to Jim" merchandise.
  7. Become Patient Zero in the upcoming "Hippopotamus Flu" epidemic.
  8. Move to Wasilla, Alaska.
  9. Invite a few Exes over for "hey, what the hell IS wrong with me?" night.
  10. Disprove the theory that I wouldn't last long in a maximum security prison.
  11. Family reunion? I'll take three please.
  12. Finally meet Bono, only to say "I preferred you better with Cher."
  13. Create a new Wii game based on vomit simulation.
  14. Go on a three-day C-Span bender without the benefit of hallucinogens.
  15. Violently defend with flailing hand gestures and obscenities the position that "Paul Blart is to the modern comedy what Monet was to impressionism."
  16. Who's gonna eat that? I'M gonna eat that.
  17. Give nothing but old TV guides to people for Christmas.
  18. Write strongly worded emails to news media outlets inquiring why they're just sweeping this whole Michael Jackson thing under the rug.
  19. Convince Brett Farve he SHOULD play again.
  20. Toilet paper? Who needs toilet paper.
  21. Tempt the hedge clippers by landscaping nude.
  22. Yes, honey, we SHOULD buy three cats.
  23. Have a conversation with Michael Bay that doesn't involve making explosion noises with our mouths.
  24. Set foot in Texas for reasons other than a second ice age.
  25. Turn this blog into a Scientology-based forum titled "The Beasts at the Heart of Space...and So Can YOU!"
5.) The best clip on the Internet (September 2008)



Happy b-day bloggites. Hit me up (film@thereader.com), I'll be ready for my presents any time now.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

Custom Search

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on a Year

July 23, 2009  
Blogger Ryan said...

God bless you Anonymous! Your love is felt and appreciated, although your name remains unknown.

July 23, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home