Monday, November 9, 2009

Weekend Box Office Results: It's official, nobody likes mo-cap

Here we are again, wondering why A Christmas Carol failed a little. Could it be November 6 is too early to celebrate Christmas (the fat man hasn't even waddled in the Macy's parade). Could it be that motion capture is still freaky and non-engaging, that it's not cuddly animation like CGI and not realistic (like, you know, with people)? Could it be that we've seen this story a bazillion-jillion times? Who knows. Point is, I am only a fan of motion-capture as a tool to compliment other animation, not unto itself. I loved Beowulf but I would have loved it more if it was mostly live-action. I don't get Robert Zemeckis's devotion to it and I never will. Maybe things change with Steven Spielberg's Tintin comes out...but probably not.

Here's the results (haiku style):

1.) A Christmas Carol - $31 million (Accuracy of prediction - 80.5%)

Motion capture sucks
There, I finally said it.
Can we move on now?

2.) This is It- $14 million (Accuracy of prediction - 83%)

Why is It still here?
Why will It not go away?
When is It over?

3.) The Men Who Stare At Goats - $13 million (Accuracy of prediction - 61%)

George Clooney is God.
How else do you explain this?
Large goat audience?

4.) The Fourth Kind - $12.5 million (Accuracy of prediction - 94%)

Jovovich is hot.
Another Fifth Element?
And less of this stuff?

5.) Paranormal Activity - $8.5 (Accuracy of prediction - 100%)

$100 million
for a flick that cost 10 grand.
Now that's how it's done.

Overall accuracy of prediction - 85.7%

Not a bad total
Given the weird week it was.
Next week is Cusack's.

That's it gang. Happy Monday!

Labels: , , , , , ,

Custom Search

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home