Monday, December 28, 2009

Weekend Box Office Results: Time for us to eat blue crow?

Two things: (1) Sorry about not posting predictions this weekend. I was really going to. I was also going to post my Avatar review, which I'm still working on. Lo siento on both fronts. If you click on more ads and pay me more, I promise to do better (or at least make some kind of passable effort). (2) Wow were we wrong about Avatar. When are we collectively going to learn that Jim Cameron's sick Faustian deal includes being able to spend whatever disgusting sum of money he wants (like, say, $500 million) and still make money. This should not be possible, but it is. How do I know? Because yesterday Avatar crossed $600 million worldwide box office. Yeah, it's ALREADY profitable. All that wailing and gnashing of teeth about how much it cost disappeared. Also, consider how impressive this accomplishment truly is: This is an original movie, not a sequel and not based on pre-existing material, with no major stars in it and only the director as a recognizable name. And somehow it is STILL on pace for something like a billion dollars worldwide. James Cameron has made us all his blue-skinned bitches...again. So without any accuracy to go into, here are the results in haiku style!

1.) Avatar - $75 million

Holy giant Smurfs!
I can't believe this total!
Do not doubt "the king."

2.) Sherlock Holmes - $65 million

Downey Jr rules.
His comeback is now complete.
Redemption is rad.

3.) Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel - $50 million

Look, I'm just saying
the less I type that title
the better I feel.

4.) It's Complicated - $22 million

What a big weekend?!
It's no Avatar, but still...
it's old people crack!

5.) Up in the Air - $12 million

Can't wait to see this...
I love me some Farmiga
Okay...and Clooney.

Overall Weekend - +$250 million

A record weekend,
despite it being Christmas.
No one likes small talk.

Okay guys, this was obviously a slow weekend so that's all the news right now. I'll be back tomorrow to sass you up further!

Labels: , , , , ,

Custom Search

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home