Friday, May 7, 2010

Fearless, Flawless Box Office Predictions

First off, I'm working on the Iron Man 2 review. It will be around sometime this afternoon. I know, I know, how can you be expected to be productive on a Friday if you're sitting around waiting to hear what I thought about the first summer blockbuster. I think you'll make it through, you're a trooper.

Speaking of blockbusters, the only real intrigue this weekend is whether Iron Man 2 can beat The Dark Knight's opening weekend. It's going to be close. Working in its favor is the fact that it's shorter, which will allow more screenings, and it's on a slightly greater number of screens. Working against it, nobody feels about Mickey Rourke the way they felt about Heath Ledger. Hell, nobody feels about Mickey Rourke the way the feel about a Heath bar, but that's besides the point. Also, no matter how beloved the first Iron Man was, Batman is a bigger property. So, it may be that this sequel only does truly insane money this weekend instead of "oh my God, all reality is crumbling" money.

How much do I think it will do? Let's see, haiku style:

1.) Iron Man 2 - $151 million

He can't beat Batman,
but he shouldn't feel to bad...
Superman couldn't.

2.) Nightmare on Elm Street - $10.5 million

Hey, what do you call
a sequel to a remake?
Answer: I don't care.

3.) How to Train Your Dragon - $8 million

Talk about long legs,
this movie has GIANT gams.
Way to go, Lizards.

4.) Date Night - $6 million

Word (of mouth) is bond.
This exceeded predictions.
...because it's funny.

5.) The Back Up Plan - $3.5 million

This is still playing?
Someone should really fix that.
And destroy the prints.

WILDCARD - Clash of the Titans - $3 million

I will say this much:
I loved "Release the Kraken."
I won't forget it.

Okay, that's it for now. I'll be back with my review later on. Keep on keepin' on this Friday.

Labels: , , , , , ,

Custom Search

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home