Monday, August 16, 2010

Weekend Box Office: I was wrong. Again.

Okay, really? Seriously? You're being serious now? Who went to go see The Expendables with that kind of force? Not only did it achieve the high totals I thought it would miss...it EXCEEDED THEM. It's Stallone's biggest opening EVER. How is this possible? Y'all just have a thing for veiny arms and incomprehensible dialogue? Is this going to open a wave of popularity for Eric Roberts? WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!?!?!

On the other side of the coin, I have seen a great wailing and gnashing of teeth about the failure of Scott Pilgrim to set the world ablaze. Um, really? It was based on an INDIE comic book, appeals to a very small window of people (like, nobody older than 45), and was shown a ton of times to that audience already in various screenings. I kind of figured it would fizzle a bit, being that it's not a cross-demographic movie. Inception was too smart to catch on, I feared, but it appealed to every quadrant. Pilgrim just didn't. It would be like expecting Eat Pray Love to win the week, even though it only appeals to about 60% of people out there. You have to start with a wide base. To put it another way, you could make the most transcendent, amazing film about Polka ever, and even though I'll see it and love it because I love movies, it's not going to be a big hit.

Anyway, on to the results, haiku style:

1.) The Expendables - $35 million (Accuracy of prediction - 84%)

Given his hobbies,
of course Stallone's film took some
box office steroids

2.) Eat Pray Love - $23 million (Accuracy of prediction - 96%)

A solid open.
This film will have some great legs.
That sounded sexist.

3.) The Other Guys - $18 million (Accuracy of prediction - 94%)

A good holdover,
on its way to a nice sum.
The credits still suck.

4.) Inception - $11 million (Accuracy of prediction - 85.5%)

No signs of stopping,
I would never have guessed this.
Nolan wins again!

5.) Scott Pilgrim vs the World - $10 million (Accuracy of prediction - 62.5%)

Quite disappointing.
I did really like the film,
but it had limits.

Overall accuracy of prediction - 84%

Scott Pilgrim killed me.
I suppose that means I'm now
just a pile of coins.

Okay gang, Happy Monday to ya! Now get out there and be productive...or else!

Follow me on Twitter!

Labels: , , , , ,

Custom Search

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home